Wednesday, 14 November 2007

Fire at Stornoway sorting office

Yesterday morning at 10 am, the fire brigade were called to the Royal Mail sorting office at Sandwick Road in Stornoway. A fire had broken out in the roofspace on the building. Fifteen members of staff were evacuated, but no injuries were reported.

Deliveries of mail were disrupted, as Royal Mail pledged to salvage as much of the remaining mail as possible. Today, no mail will be brought to the island - whether any mail will be taken out has not become clear at time of writing.

Fire engines were recalled to the building at 7pm last night, as the fire had reignited. The building was severely damaged; the above picture shows the two broken windows and two broken skylights which is external evidence of the blaze. It is thought to have been caused by an electrical fault in the roofspace.

Royal Mail is now urgently seeking alternative premises to resume services.

No comments:

Post a Comment