Monday 11 January 2010

Icy conditions

An expedition to Sandwick Cemetery foundered yesterday on the incredible ice-rink that is the footpath between Lower Sandwick and the Battery, Stornoway. Pavements in that area of the town look like this:



and I have great fun making my way from the turning point at the bottom of Miller Road to the start of the footpath to Sandwick. Once there, I found the length of the path to be like below:



and conditions within the cemetery no better. I did not come bearing skates, so I had to turn back and wait for the Atlantic to whirl some mild weather our way. I think that won't be very long, bearing in mind that a cargoship with 4,300 tons of roadsalt docked at Stornoway this morning.

5 comments:

  1. Aye, ours just the same Arnish. Even slippier today, due to the slight thaw..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broddar, lads and lasses, broddar, whatever that cat may cackle on about. Norwegians know, believe me, how pedestrians can cope with the iciest of conditions.
    The ship that went aground on Eriskay with a cargo of whisky during WWII was described in the filum as a "4000 tonner". Imagine pouring whisky on the ice to melt it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a waste of the water of life,barney!! I'd kill anyone who dared pour my macallan or pot dbuih over ice!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our track is like the Cresta Run. Just sent Mr Dragon out with the hot ashes to spread them about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latset Elf & Safety Bulletin

    DANGER THE ICE ON STORNOWAY STREETS MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF NUTS.

    ReplyDelete