Tuesday 13 March 2012

Freedom of speech

In a previous post, I criticised the out-going convener of Comhairle nan Eilean Siar for his swipe against “scurrilous and cowardly” internet bloggers. I have, on an earlier occasion, been critical for the treatment meeted out to a member of the public by one of the islands’ councillors. This person has now apparently been subjected to a campaign of bullying and intimidation, most of it anonymously.

Whilst I did not agree with everything that this person had to say in the exchange with the councillor, I do not feel that speaking up against perceived wrong-doing merits this sort of treatment.

As I pointed out in the earlier post, I blog anonymous to afford myself a wider scope. At the end of the day, in a small community, you have to get on with each other. It may come to pass that you have to rely on the person you had a row with yesterday in order to survive. And vice versa. Telling the other anonymously to get off the island is, to quote Councillor Macdonald out of context, “scurrilous and cowardly”.

Freedom of speech, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment