Wednesday 2 April 2008

Double Summer Time

There have been noises that some people want to put the clocks forward an hour all year round, to put the UK on a par with mainland Europe. One local paper has taken it upon itself to spearhead this move.

Personally, I think that is a daft move. The reasons for that are related to our extremely short days in December. Although I am not denying that there will be longer hours of daylight in the afternoon, I don't want to think of a sunrise at 10.15 am, thank you.

Don't forget children go to school between 8 and 9 in the morning, which would be in total darkness. When they go home in the afternoon at present, at around 3.30pm, there is at least some measure of daylight.

Anyone got any thoughts on this issue?

1 comment:

  1. "I seem to remember this was tried back in the late 60's/early 70's. I clearly recollect trudging along Mathieson Road in the pitch darkness ! I don't think the idea worked then or would now."

    BW from go to school in daylight Glasgow

    "i've been here for almost 32 years and even at the begining the time difference didn't bother me-and no we don't have sunrise at 10h15a.m!!!Today we don't even have "sunrise" Its 10h25 the skies are grey and its p*****g down! "

    carol from the usual place

    "Raining in the South of France? I am shocked and disappointed..."

    Flying Cat from an old gite

    "they did try it in the late 60 or early 70's and the reason given for dicontinuing it was (so I remember being told at the time) that it was dangerous for children in Scotland going to school in the morning, btw you do not get extra daylight, if people can't get up in the morning that's their tough luck, "

    island threads from lewis

    "I have a lot of sympathy with that point of view IT...and I'm a dreadful stop-in-bed cat...not the only one in this household, not pointing any paws..."

    Flying Cat from a hard stare

    ReplyDelete