Thursday 27 November 2008

Island Blogging


Road leading away from Arnish Lighthouse

I am not a frequent contributor to Island Blogging these days, so I nearly missed the announcement that this forum will be closing down early next year. Much endebted to MJC in IN for bringing it to my attention.

I am very, very sad that for the second time in four weeks I find that a blogging community of which I am a member is being ripped up. It is ameliorated in this instance by the willingness of the BBC (read: our very own Carol) to keep the community together and maintaining our blogs on its servers. I wished AOL had bothered doing all that a month ago, when they scrapped their blogs. I am still picking up the pieces of that rather traumatic event.

I look to Carol for guidance and coordination in keeping us all linked up, perhaps on another blogging platform. I sincerely hope we will all stick together.

Over the past three years, I have enjoyed writing on Island Blogging, being a minor thorn in the side of local authorities like the Western Isles Health Board and Comhairle nan Eilean Siar. I am also satisfied that my blog, amongst others from this island, has served to raise the profile of the Isle of Lewis in the world, by highlighting its natural beauty and promoting aspects of its culture.

1 comment:

  1. "rnish and all others at IB, have been a mine of information about the history and the social life of these isles, I pray that you can keep IB going,it means so much to a lot of people.MerryXmas to all."
    Pat from Blackpool

    "AL, those of us who have enjoyed reading IB for years now are also more than a bit sad. I have a single rss feed in which I get all of the great IB blogs. No matter how it goes from hear on, I would have to track down each blog individually and set up an individual rss feed for that blog. The way it is set up now, as a new blogger comes online, I automatically get their blogs. With out IB when a new IB'er starts, I wouldn't know it."
    CVBruce from CA, USA

    ReplyDelete