Monday 6 April 2009

Arnish Fabrication Yard

I am pleased to note that a deal has finally been reached for this site of heavy industry to be reopened. Sixty jobs are set to be created when Fife-based firm Bi-Fab moves in on a 12-year lease. I would like to refer to this article on Hebrides News for the finer details on the deal. The reason for my previous cynicism on this deal lies in the poor track record of previous tenants of the Arnish site - Altissimo was the third operator to have pulled out last December with the loss of 45 jobs at the time. Basically, the reliability and sustainability of previous operators was shown to be poor. It is not clear to me whether a clause compelling Bi-Fab to keep the site open for meaningful economic use is part of the contract. In other words, whether the jobs at Arnish are sustainable or not. At present, Bi-Fab have a bulging order book and are apparently desperate for capacity.

I wish them, and their workforce, well.

5 comments:

  1. Greaat news, Arnish! I share your hopes for their sustainable effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At last... Now maybe the ratio of 44:1 unemployed:jobs available will change for the better. And the population decline stemmed...

    ReplyDelete
  3. at last--a positive blog about lewis

    ReplyDelete
  4. In response to Taddoe's comment above, I want to make it clear that I am not in the business of slagging off the island. My critical posts are intended to highlight matters that IMHO merit improvement, or are being dealt with in a less than ideal fashion. I have found that I am not the only one to be dissatisfied with (e.g.) the changes in the bus service, windfarms and the like.
    I am sorry if my posts are perceived to be of a negative tendency.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite agree Arnish. Just because you like/love a place it doesn't mean you can't criticise any faults. As a wiser man than me once said, "Saying ,'My country, right or wrong.' is like saying,'My mother, drunk or sober.'"

    ReplyDelete